bitchie

In The Absence of Light
Adrienne Wilder
My Brother's Lover
Lynn Kelling
The Sea of Tranquility - Katja Millay Nastya. Emilia. Sunshine. She is all of these people, and she is none of them.Emilia was a childhood prodigy. She played the piano. The Brighton Piano Girl, they called her. Piano was everything to her. For all intents and purposes, Emilia had a perfect life. She had good parents, a caring brother, and she did something she loved. She was kind and a bit sheltered in her world of piano, recitals, weddings, parties she played for.Until one day, when she was fifteen, and she died. She lost the one thing that was most important to her- the piano, because her hand was damaged beyond repair. Everything was taken away from her, simply because she was in the wrong place, at the wrong time. In Emilia's place, Nastya was born. Nastya is everything Emilia wasn't. Angry. Scared. Tough. Gone are the innocent dresses, the sweetness, the music. In it's place is heavy makeup, black, slutty clothes, and attitude. Or as much attitude as a girl can give without speaking. And Nastya manages to give plenty of attitude without saying a word.I really loved this book. It was a bit slow getting started, but once it pulled me in, I read as much as I could, without stopping. I love how this author made me feel for these characters, and how my heart broke for all of them. Even happy go lucky Drew is screwed up in his own way.The story really dragged out what happened to Emilia. You know it was something horrible, you know it damaged her hand and ruined the girl that Emilia was. You spend a lot of time imagining the worst, only to learn that it wasn't as bad as you thought, and at the same time, it was so very much worse. This is a story that I see sticking with me for a long time, it was beautifully written, with wonderful characters and a fantastic, different story. Not sexy, not smutty, not paranormal, just regular people, dealing with difficulties most of us can't imagine.